The most famous koan is "What is the sound of one hand clapping?
"The "answer" to a koan comes as a flash of enlightenment, often with a laugh. How simple! How could I not have seen that!
In this spirit, I offer my own koan:
What is the point of a tree?
This question occurred to me while I was relaxing in my back yard and regarding the huge poplar, which had soldiered through many hardships over the decades but still maintained a slightly ragged majesty. It crossed my mind to ask, "But what is the point?" This turned out to be a very good question. It has sent me tumbling off the "beaten path" to some new experiences of the world. I hope it does something like that for you ...
I leave it to you to contemplate the question while admiring your own favorite tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment