The "I" Meme is perhaps the most powerful meme of all: the inescapable impression that the world is experienced in the "first person singular". This seems to be "hard wired' in the brain and this meme finds expression in virtually all human languages, although to varying degrees (It is avoided in Japanese for example).
Attempts to discuss "I" from the "outside" result in a surprisingly varied collection of apparently related memes, such as the "soul", the "mind", the "spirit" and the "self". These are not identical memes and are each somewhat "weaker" than the I meme. We can, after all, experience the world in the first person without accepting the idea of the soul - in fact some schools of Buddhism explicitly deny the existence of the "self" as an illusion. On the other hand, it is common to regard "I" as separable from the body: the "soul".
Much philosophical sleight of hand relies on a constructed description of the first-person in terms of a "junior" meme for the purpose of denying that some other junior meme makes sense. For example, Dennett makes a great show of contrasting his view of the self as "what it feels like to be a brain" with his "straw man" construction of what people "must" mean by the "soul". All he succeeds in doing is convincing us that the Dennett "self" is probably incompatible with the "soul" meme, which doesn't actually prove that the Dennett "self" meme is a "thing". It turns out that the meme of the self-as-brain "explains" (at best) only what Dennett sets out to explain, leaving the vast experience of the first-person on the "cutting room floor".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Here is where I started on my self-directed course in "Climate Models 101". This is highly recommended . Here's a sample: My ...
-
I urge the reader to take the time to listen to this son g - sorry about the ads. Rows and flows of angel hair And ice cream castles in the ...
-
Jacob Chansley (with The Horns) Got 41 Months in Prison Totally Repudiated Q-Anon Etc It is a total mystery why some people refuse to get va...
-
"SE-I" Definition of Intelligence: Intelligence, to our mind, is the art of rapid and reliable gist-finding, crux-spotting, ...
-
I asked for a picture along these lines: This is one of four responses, which are themselves a series of "tweaks" to what I want ...
-
This post is fun to read once processed by Perplexity AI here . Len writes: My thoughts on this matter have to do with the physical substra...
-
It is not possible to understand the 21st century without seeing the overwhelming influence of "performance art". To be sure, thi...
-
Today I had the unexpected pleasure of a long, detailed conversation with Ambre Singh, a brilliant and creative Second Life citizen. It rela...
-
A tornado made of sharks crashing into a skyscraper. Painting in the style of abstract cubism. The above "painting" was made by ...
No comments:
Post a Comment